HDF 110- “Philadelphia” Movie Assignment (30 points)
You will watch the movie, “Philadelphia” (1993.) It is available at the following sites: Amazon Prime, Google Play, Starz and YouTube. The rental fee should not be much more than $3.99. You will choose any six (6) of the following nine questions and answer each with a minimum ½ page response (12 point font, double-spaced, typed) Each question and answer is worth 5 points, for a total of 30 points.
- Given that the movie “Philadelphia” was made 25 years ago, how do you believe that things have changed since that time? Are the topics still as relevant today? How and why?
- Which do you believe was the biggest reason that Andrew was fired, being gay or having AIDS? If the partners would have simply found out that he was gay, do you believe they would have still set him up and fired him? Give examples from the movie to support your opinion.
- Following Joe’s passionate statement about the effects of homophobia, the Judge made a statement, “…The Courtroom is blind to matters race, gender…….and sexual orientation” and Joe responds, “Yes, but we don’t live in this courtroom.” Explain the significance of this. Can the courtroom really be totally immune from the many “isms” we have discussed? Why or why not?
- Consider Andrew in terms of the “Matrix of Oppression”…Although he was gay, he was part of several other privileged groups. Which groups do you believe had the biggest impact on Andrew’s life? Give examples.
- What do you believe were the main turning points for Joe Miller in terms of his reconsidering his attitude about Gay people? While he clearly grew in terms of his own views, do you believe this growth was directly only towards his relationship with Andy or do you believe he would be less homophobic in general?
- Do you believe that seeing this movie would have a positive impact on somebody who is very homophobic or heterosexist? Why or Why not? How? What do you believe were the most powerful parts in the movie that would likely make somebody rethink their homophobic or heterosexist views?
- In terms of the “resiliency characteristics” we discussed in class, do you believe that Andrew was a resilient character or not? Give examples of why or why not you believe this based on your analysis of the four characteristics.
- Analyze the influence of heterosexism or homophobia on Andrew’s life from Bronfenbrenner’s systemic perspective by giving examples of instances of homophobia or heterosexism in Andrew’s micro, meso,exo or macrosystem.
- Identify the ways in which Power(discuss at least three specific examples out of French and Raven’s six bases of power) play a role in the movie and how it furthers prejudice and oppression towards the LGBT community.
The post Given that the movie “Philadelphia” was made 25 years ago, how do you believe that things have changed since that time? Are the topics still as relevant today? How and why? appeared first on Essay Hotline.